Sunrise -- Sunset
Sun sets on our present day, allowing our minds and bodies relaxation, renewal and rejuvenation with the rising of the sun the following morning.

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Missing Our Friend Wally


Tuesday Misty jumped up excitedly into the bathroom window to breath in some refreshing cool air and to begin her watch for Wally.Wally normally shows up about 10:30am either in the tree in front of the house or the tree just outside the bathroom window.This day our plumber was to arrive for some much needed work to be done on our older home. A couple of times of my calling and coaxing Wally to show up on his limb for his morning handout brought no friend.Before long our Plumbers truck backed up into the yard to park beside the house.In realizing Wally probably wouldn't show up for awhile I took my mind off of him and opened up my computer to begin work on my Now And Then post.As our plumber began to come to a close for the day,I decided to look out one more time in hope of seeing Wally.Low and behold there he was sitting on his branch patiently waiting for me to notice him.I excitedly let my plumber know he was sitting out there and to take a look out the window.I quickly picked up three walnuts and a cracker to slowly walk out the door with.As I bent down low and reached out my hand with the cracker,Wally came up thankfully and took it.Away he went,up the tree to sit on his limb happily eating his lunch.Wally was forgotten for awhile after our plumber said his goodby and drove away.By the way,our plumber is Tom Peterson from our church family,Chuck and I had just been over to his and Deb's home for fellowship and wet burritos a few saturday nights previous.
Dan soon began waiting for his ride to show up to take him to his ToastMasters nite and left when he arrived.As they pulled away I glanced out the window and to my horror saw a squirrel laying down not moving near the end of our driveway.My heart immediately sank as I realized it was probably Wally who had decided to come up for another handout and got caught by one of the vehicle wheels.I cried a few tears as I went to the garage to get my snow shovel to carefully pick up the body and place it near the bathroom window on the ground.I went in to RuthAnn and carefully told her about Wally.The two of us were very sad looking at each other,each needing to shed a few tears.Suddenly RuthAnn said "Lets pray grandma!"We took each other's hands and knelt down on the floor and prayed.Our little girl is beginning to grow up.That evening as Chuck got home he saw Wally laying there and took him out to bury him behind the garage.The following afternoon as RuthAnn came home from school we each made a cross,found some rocks and placed them over Wally's grave.His name was placed in the dirt with cherrios.This morning as I got up guess what I saw as I opened up the bathroom window?


Low and behold there sat a squirrel on Wally's branch watching the window.My heart lept for a moment considering it might be Wally but I knew it wasn't.It was Wally's female friend I believe waiting for a walnut and cracker.I quickly went out to the kitchen and got its nourishment for the morning.I carefully opened up the door and to my astonishment there sat the female with two other friends having a gay ole time playing ring around the rosy with each other through the tree limbs.I carefully closed the door up,and as Misty and I watched out the window each one came and got a cracker and later devoured the walnuts that had been placed on the porch.This picture looks exactly like one I took in the earlier pics of Wally with his female friend sitting munching on their crackers.Wow what a day!Naturally I quickly got RuthAnn to quietly come and watch as it all happened.We will continue to put crackers and walnuts out for them each morning and maybe they will stay around for us to enjoy.Thank-you Lord for being so good.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A neet ending to a sad story.

Anonymous said...

from Uncle Ed

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

What a story Dianne. So sad about Wally. But so cool that you have those other friends to help keep your mind from missing Wally so much.

Love ya Dianne

CML_Shearings said...

Your sweet/sad Wally story & grave reminded me of when Esther was younger. We caught one of the wild rabbits that had been feeding on our strawberry patch. Esther named her pet "Strawberry" & watched her by the hour. Only one problem developed. Little Strawberry would not eat while captive & was terrified of us. About the time we decided to let her loose, we found her lifeless in her cage. We decided we had scared her to death... as she had only been caged for a little over a day. We conducted a little funeral service & made a grave similar to Wally's. Since the death was in the summer, Esther picked flowers & laid them on the grave for a few days. Thanks for bringing back the memory. I'm happy you still have other squirrels to watch!

JUST A MOM said...

HOW SAD,, YET SWEET. HI THOUGHT I WOULD STOP BY TO SEE WHAT IS UP IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD. SORRY ABOUT WALLY.

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Oh no! Not WALLY!
Kinza and I agreed that somehow the Cheerios made things feel better!

Eagle-eye Di said...

I appreciate the loving and caring comments from all of you.RuthAnn,Misty May and Myself thank you very much.We seem to have acquired four squirrels,one of which actually does come excitedly running up and gets a cracker out of my fingers.We keep vigil different times of the day to watch for them watching the window for their crackers and walnuts.I may have to buy that corner lot thats for sale where Dad and I have gone and gotten all of our walnuts each fall.