Going back a few years ago,maybe alittle more then a few,like back to 1971 in the first year of marriage to our humble abode full of critters.There we're many nights I would sit alone in the living area awaiting Chuck's return home from a hard days work at Gordon Food Service.Our home had many interesting critters not ones a person would necessarily want in their home especially in the kitchen area.On one of those many nights as I sat in my chair a shadow caught my eye not far from where I sat.Low and behold it was one of those critters I would lay awake at night, listening to, under our bed and in our closet partying till all hours in the morning.My eyes immediately pin pointed him out not far from me looking my way with those beady little brown eyes watching to see what I might do.As I sat there watching him,a plan began forming in my mind as to how I would catch that little critter.What if I we're to carefully get up out of my chair,go into the kitchen and snatch up a brown paper bag,of course not a small lunch bag.The next step would be to locate a newspaper that I could roll up into a log style to coax him into the bag with.Once into the bag he would be my hostage for me to do with him what I pleased.Carefully,oh so slowly I lifted my body up and out of my chair and began my slow desent into the kitchen careful not to make any loud noise or unwanted distraction for to scare him off where he sat.Brown paper bag and log newspaper roll in hand I slowly moved back into the living area to see he hadn't moved,only to have turned his back to me,probably eating one of the many spiders that also shared our humble abode.Slowly I crept up onto the mouse with the brown paper bag in position on the floor,log newspaper roll up and in position to help push the critter into the bag leaving him with no escape.Slowly oh so slowly the seconds passed seeming an eternity.One swoop and in the bag he went with success.Ok now what to do with him? I could stomp him to death with my foot or walk outside with him and let him go but I didn't want him still in my yard because he would surely find his way back in.With my mind racing, trying to decide,there was only one solution.I opened up my door,walked to our property line facing the next door neighbors home and carefully layed the bag down on the ground with the open end going into their yard. Saying a speedy goodby to him I chuckled to myself as I turned around and walked back into our humble home,feeling good about handling the problem myself and feeling good about sharing with my neighbor.
Sunday, June 12, 2005
How To Catch A Mouse
Going back a few years ago,maybe alittle more then a few,like back to 1971 in the first year of marriage to our humble abode full of critters.There we're many nights I would sit alone in the living area awaiting Chuck's return home from a hard days work at Gordon Food Service.Our home had many interesting critters not ones a person would necessarily want in their home especially in the kitchen area.On one of those many nights as I sat in my chair a shadow caught my eye not far from where I sat.Low and behold it was one of those critters I would lay awake at night, listening to, under our bed and in our closet partying till all hours in the morning.My eyes immediately pin pointed him out not far from me looking my way with those beady little brown eyes watching to see what I might do.As I sat there watching him,a plan began forming in my mind as to how I would catch that little critter.What if I we're to carefully get up out of my chair,go into the kitchen and snatch up a brown paper bag,of course not a small lunch bag.The next step would be to locate a newspaper that I could roll up into a log style to coax him into the bag with.Once into the bag he would be my hostage for me to do with him what I pleased.Carefully,oh so slowly I lifted my body up and out of my chair and began my slow desent into the kitchen careful not to make any loud noise or unwanted distraction for to scare him off where he sat.Brown paper bag and log newspaper roll in hand I slowly moved back into the living area to see he hadn't moved,only to have turned his back to me,probably eating one of the many spiders that also shared our humble abode.Slowly I crept up onto the mouse with the brown paper bag in position on the floor,log newspaper roll up and in position to help push the critter into the bag leaving him with no escape.Slowly oh so slowly the seconds passed seeming an eternity.One swoop and in the bag he went with success.Ok now what to do with him? I could stomp him to death with my foot or walk outside with him and let him go but I didn't want him still in my yard because he would surely find his way back in.With my mind racing, trying to decide,there was only one solution.I opened up my door,walked to our property line facing the next door neighbors home and carefully layed the bag down on the ground with the open end going into their yard. Saying a speedy goodby to him I chuckled to myself as I turned around and walked back into our humble home,feeling good about handling the problem myself and feeling good about sharing with my neighbor.

9 comments:
NICE! I remember those days, good to see your still there.
Could you come to our house? We need your help!
Sure I'll be right over.Annette found peanut butter does the trick nicely.They caught a couple of mice that way in their first little house.By the way they also found they had a bat.Now wouldn't that just be peachy.I shutter to think of it.
Dianne, you are so funny!! I love your story. Thanks for putting in your post. I love it! I'm so sure your neighbor was glad for you sharing with them.
Oh E-eye! Just TOO funny! Oh I needed this good laugh at the end of my day! I really did NOT think you were gonna be able to get him!! Whoever heard of catching a mouse in a sandwich bag!! But then to gift him to the neighbours ... oh, too funny! Laughin' my little head off!
Are you serious?This little creature was a partier,one who kept me awake at night listening to his scratchings under my bed and in the closet.He fed on the many spiders and played in the pancake box in the cupboard.One morning I decided to make pancakes like a good wife and lo and behold when we sat down,prayed and began to slice into it my eyes went as wide as saucers.They were full of black spots like chocolate chip cookies.I got up immediately and looked into the box to see it was full of black spots that didn't belong there.I grabbed up our plates,dumped them in the wastebasket and proceeded to the cereal boxes.After a good investigation of the cereal boxes we decided to also dump them and hense we went out to eat for breakfast in horror.We cleaned out the cupboards big time when we got back and proceeded to lay mouse traps.This mouse was to much of a partier to want to get caught until that fateful night.Hee Hee
Very funny story, Auntie D; I love it! I am cracking up that you released him into your neighbor's yard.
Three traps set, and no mouse!! Oh my!! I think our "ghost mouse" is alergic to peanut butter. Got any other suggestions??? I don't wanna stay up in the dark, waiting with a paper bag to catch him, when he is unaware! I would hate to give him a heart attack!! I'm sure he would die of fright, coming around the corner, not expecting to see the "eyeball" of his enemy, staring at him, with rollers in, and goop on my face. Hummm???? Hey, maybe I "will" try it!!
I have no clue to tell you what could work.That there mouse may need your companionship,who knows.Funny,maybe offer him some pancake mix in a box.Love ya,good luck with that there mouse critter.If sitting in the dark I would difinetly keep my feet in the air.Good luck trying to outrascal that there mouse critter.
Post a Comment