Sunrise -- Sunset
Sun sets on our present day, allowing our minds and bodies relaxation, renewal and rejuvenation with the rising of the sun the following morning.

Monday, May 21, 2007

Time Away With Dan

Destination,Frankenmuth,Michigan.With Dan being president of his 9317 Words Of Hope ToastMasters Club Division,a trip away was in the making.Our Super 8 Motel room was set up for two nights in Birch Run on Birch Run Road.Directions were pulled up on the computer by Chuck and my Caddy pulled out of our driveway to begin our weekend.I was excited about our time togeather away since we hadn't had a recent time for just the two of us,mother and son.With a drive through McDonnalds food fast lane and good music reverberating in my tape deck our time began.We pulled into the Super 8 Motel just off of expressway 75 and found our room.Even though it was about 10:00pm we put our swimsuits on and slipped into the wonderful hot tub to release our road travel worn bodies.As the de-stressing began and we let the jets hit us where our aching joints were located a small group of ladies joined in.They were out for a ladies nite out and had just come from eating and ended up here in the hot tub.It reminded me of Annette,Debbie's and my night out we have weekly,normally on thursday evenings.It brought a smile to my face knowing how good it is when ladies get togeather for some quality time away with other females.As Dan and I got back to our room he called the desk and asked for a wake up call for 5:30am the next morning.Off went the lights after our ice cold drinks,snack and alittle more talk.
We discovered from the front desk it wasn't hard to get where we were going.A left turn out of the Motel,a couple of lights down,another left turn straight into Frankenmuth.Needless to say I threw away my directions realizing I would not need them.As we drove in we passed Bronner's Christmas Store and found our entrance.What a beautiful wood covered bridge we drove through to reach the Bavarian Inn Lodge and Conference Center.
Located in downtown Frankenmuth on the banks of the Cass River.All under one roof there are 360 Guestrooms,Five Indoor Pools,entertainment in the Lorelei Lounge and Ratskeller,Dining in Oma's and the Ratskeller,Family Fun Center,Banquet and Conference Center,Indoor Mini-Golf,and last but not least,shopping and service.

The Bavarian Belle Riverboat is an Authentic Paddlewheel Riverboat that is great for a tour of Frankenmuth on the Historic Cass River.In the background is the long,wooden,covered bridge we traveled across to get to the Inn.My leather shop was on the left of the back of the picture.I walked across to get this view of the riverboat and the covered bridge.It is a beautiful spot with the RiverPlace right behind where I was standing to take the picture.It is full of little shoppies.The next time I go I would like to go in and walk around alittle bit.I didn't have alot of time to do alot of looking around because I wanted to be at the Conference and Banquet.
If carriage rides are your fancy you can enjoy a fantasy horse drawn carriage ride...back in time,through the streets of historic Frankenmuth.Starting just south of Zehnder's Restaurant parking lot,tours include historical sites as well as Main Street attractions.
As I left the Inn for a short time before going back dressed for the banquet,I visited a few spots along the way.A couple of shops I found I liked were the leather gift shop located right across the wooden covered bridge and Rau's Country Store.By the way Ed they have a collection of tractors for you.I only wish I had know what you were missing in your collection,I could have looked for it.
I drove back to Birch Run to look for a couple of items I had slipped up on bringing for the banquet.There always seems to be a few items that get forgotten.No,I didn't purposely forget them but it sure allowed me a reason to walk the Birch Run Outlets for a short time.I walked in the Ladies Dress Barn and immediately saw a beautiful skirt I would love to have.About one hour later I walked out with a skirt with an attached slip,top,jacket,white purse(the purse and slip were what had been forgotten and a pretty bracelet that completed the outfit.I call this outfit my Special Birch Run Outfit.I only needed a few tums when I got back to the Motel.Another hour later saw me driving back into The Bavarian Inn Lodge for the awaited banquet to end the evening.What a wonderful day Dan and I had togeather.
Back across the wooden covered bridge we drove,back past Bronner's Christmas Wonderland which was now bathed in bright christmas colors.The Caddy automatically backed up and pulled in to snap a few pictures.This would be the only chance to get the lights lit up since we would be leaving tomorrow.The nativity scene was along side of the Bronner's Silent Night Memorial Chapel.We would be coming back in the morning to visit Bronner's togeather.
After checking out of our Motel we traveled back over to The World's Largest Christmas Store,open 361 days of the year.Bronner's CHRISTmas Wonderland Frankenmuth,Mich. Making Christmas memories every day.We began looking around and were astonded at how large of a store it was.They had any kind of ornament you could ever want along with any decoration or outdoor scene getup you would need.At one point I looked at Dan and laughed.I told Dan I needed to get on my cell phone and say hey I've walked into Bronner's and can't get out.Help!Wow what a Christmas Wonderland.As we were about to attempt to leave an announcement came over the intercome letting people know that Mr.Bronner would be at his table to give autographs in his books.He had two different books which we bought both and received his autograph in each.As we were walking away from his table we had a kind gentleman walk up to us and asked if he could be of assistance to us.I kindly said thank-you for offering but no we would be fine.We drove away knowing this could very well become an annual stop each fall before Christmas season begins.I couldn't believe how easy it was to find our way in and out.
Beautifully landscaped grounds cover 27 acres (5 1/2 football fields)of building in Bronner's entire complex.Christmas Lane is illuminated every evening with over 100,000 lights.
Bronner's motto is "Enjoy CHRISTmas,It's HIS Birthday;Enjoy Life,It's HIS Way:.
June 8,1977 the doors opened on 25 Christmas Lane at the south entrance to Frankenmuth,"Michigan's Little Bavaria".

In 1992, with Austria's permission,Bronner's erected a replica of the Oberndorf (Salzburg),Austria,Silent Night Memorial Chapel in tribute to the Christmas hymn "Silent Night" and in thankfulness to God.The Bronner's often spoke of creating a functional memorial to God in thanksgiving for His multifude of blessings through the years.Since 1976,he had tucked away an idea in his mind that had been prompted by their visit to the town of Oberndorf,near Salzbur,Austria.During their stay in Austria, they visited the Silent Night Memorial Chapel. This chapel stood on the altar site of the original St.Nicholas Church where "Stille Nacht" ("Silent Night") was first sung on Christmas Eve 1818.
Each year,approximately 250,000 people from over a hundred nations spend time in the chapel and on its grounds.Many linger around the grounds to read the words of "Silent Night"in as many languages as they can collect,lettered on small signs.
Through small speakers the song of Silent Night sound soft and calming to the ear.Dan and I stood there speechless and felt the peacefullness of the moment listening to the music with the chapel spread out in front of us.We walked away and got into our car to begin our journey homeward.
Our next stop would be Karen and Dennis's in Saginaw.I soon discovered we had no directions to their place in the car.I know Chuck pulled up directions for us but they had also been left at the house.Dan picked up his cell phone and pulled up directions into their place.We stopped at McDonnalds,not far from them to get a couple of speciality coffees.We sat down and I called them to let them know where we were.After a few back and forths trying to remember how to get into their street address and calling them to get much needed final directions,we pulled into their driveway.She and Dennis were ready to sit down to a wonderful sunday dinner in which we joined them.We had a very special visit with them that evening.They had never met Dan before so they were able to get to know him.Popcorn was popped,cold drinks came out and Dan's TLC program DVD was placed in their dvd player.That evening before we went to bed,I opened up my email to find a email from Colleen.Ed's mom had passed away on Saturday while we were at the banquet.Our heart felt prayers and love went up for all of you,Colleen and Ed.
Coming home between Saginaw and Howard City low and behold my eyes caught on a super looking car sitting along the road side in a front yard.You guessed it,the brakes went on and in we pulled.It was a 1969 Convertable Cadillac.Wow what a car.My mouth watered as I stood there.I took a few pictures to show Chuck when I got home.We have called and talked to the owner a few different times.Who knows what will happen.We arrived home tired but happy to have had our special time away.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome trip. Id' like to see that place and take Colleen for a carriage ride.
Uncle Ed
(We maybe stop at the toy tactors too!)

CML_Shearings said...

Thank you for the photos & comments about the Bronners. Louis & I have ordered Christmas ornaments from them by catalog for years!

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

wow! Excellent Posting Dianne

strider1971 said...

It was indeed an awesome time. but mom I need to correct one thing. I am president of Words of Hope Toast Masters club number 9714 not 9317. anyway it was fun. the entertainment was awesome at the banquet and mom I am surprised you didn't mention about sitting in on the district business meeting.